Hidden Expenses When Buying A Home – Part I

There is a common misunderstanding with regard to the total of all expenses new homeowners are exposed to when they purchase a home. Homeowners often believe all they have to do is put the down payment down, get the balance of the funds for the mortgage from a bank, and this will be sufficient to purchase a home. However there are numerous other expenses prospective homeowners face when purchasing a home.

Down Payment

I’ve already mentioned the down payment. In most real estate transactions, the homeowners puts 10% of the purchase price down at contract, and an additional 10% at the time of closing. This amounts to a total of 20% of the purchase price. If the homeowners are obtaining a Federal Housing Authority (FHA) mortgage, their down payment may be as little as 5% to 10% of the purchase price of the home.

Engineering Inspection

A home is the largest purchase a family will make during the course of their lifetime. Before jumping into the purchase of a home, it is usually necessary to have an engineer do a thorough inspection of the home to make sure the roof doesn’t leak, the electrical system is adequate, the plumbing doesn’t leak, the foundation is secure and numerous other items in the home are in good condition. Home inspections can cost anywhere from $500 to $600 in the Metropolitan New York area by qualified engineers.

Expenses of Moving

When a family moves into a home, they usually hire a moving company to help them pack up their possessions and move them to their new home. Moving expenses can cost a homeowner anywhere from $1,500 to $6,000. If the move is cross country, or over a long distance, it could cost significantly more.

foreclosure advocate for homeownersElliot Schlissel is a foreclosure attorney representing homeowners in the buying and selling of homes, and fighting foreclosures when banks seek to take their homes away from them. In addition, Elliot Schlissel and his attorneys assist homeowners in obtaining mortgage modifications and to avoid losing their homes in foreclosure proceedings.

Foreclosure Defense in Valley Stream, Lynbrook, Baldwin, Malverne, Freeport, Oceanside, Long Beach, Elmont, Lakeview, West Hempstead, Hempstead, Merrick and Bellmore, New York

We represent individuals throughout the New York Metropolitan area with divorce and child custody, personal injury, car accident, wrongful death, estate administration, nursing home and medicaid issues

The information you obtain at this website is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your particular legal issue. This is attorney advertising.

This is attorney advertising. This website is designed for general information purposes only. The information presented on this website shall not be construed to be legal advice. If you have a legal problem you should consult with an attorney.

Copyright © 2018 By The Law Offices of Schlissel DeCorpo. All Rights Reserved.